Darjeeling is also known as the Queen of Himalayas, which attracts Tourists from all around the world. It is situated in the Northern part of West Bengal, surrounded on its north by Sikkim, east by Bhutan, and west by Nepal. Darjeeling is famous for it’s fabulous “Tea” all over the world and is ranked no.1 for it’s flavor. The pleasant climatic, Ice covered Kanchenjunga Mountain, Sunrise in Tiger Hill, modern yet colonial charm are the prime attraction for which people do like to spend their vacation.
Planning for a trip to Darjeeling:
When we are looking to go for a holiday trip to Darjeeling, we must keep few things in mind before preparing the luggage, i.e.,
- Best Time of Visit : Around September mid is preferred to be suitable time to visit Darjeeling as the sky stays clear which allows tourist to watch the famous ‘Sunrise’ from Tiger Hill. Although Darjeeling can be visited at any point of time.
- Dress code: We must bring warm cloths like Sweaters, Jackets, etc. with us along with a raincoat during rainy season. Shoes & Boots are compulsory so that foots don’t get cold and one get sick in the journey.
- Medical Kits : Make sure to have a first aid box along with required medicines for medical attention as medical facilities in Darjeeling is not remarkably good compared to some other places.
- Budgeting: One must look for Darjeeling tour plan before arrival. Budget should be made on the basis of Darjeeling tour packages from places like Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, etc. so that in the mid way no one faces any kind of troubles. There are some good Travel agencies who provides marvelous service for Darjeeling tour Packages along with car rental in Darjeeling.
How to reach Darjeeling?
Arriving for Darjeeling
To reach Darjeeling from New Jalpaiguri station we book Private/Govt. four wheeler Vehicles from Darjeeling car rental counter itself at N.J.P. station or at Junction Station. Even we can be provided with Darjeeling car rental services against the Darjeeling tour packages which can be booked earlier through online tour operators. Toy Train is available for ride, however it takes near about 9 hrs. to reach Darjeeling whereas it takes just 3 hrs. to reach by local four wheeler vehicles to cover the same distance. We can also use Air Flight from Bagdogra, near Siliguri which will carry us to Kurseong , and from there local four-wheeler private or govt. vehicle could be hired or booked for Darjeeling.
Departing from Darjeeling
While returning back from Darjeeling we can book or hire govt./private Four wheeler (reserved or unreserved) vehicles from Chowk Bazar Taxi Stand, Darjeeling for Siliguri.
Food & Beverage
Famous Local Dishes : Momos, Thukpa, Churpee, Sael Roti, etc.
Famous Local Beverage : Dajeeling Tea, Coffee and Chang / Thomba(Local beer)
Things to be done in Darjeeling from Tourists point of view :
1. Adventurous Trip:
Rangeet Valley Ropeway, An Heart Throbbing Experience in Darjeeling :
A most adventurous thing to do in Darjeeling is to ride Ropeway that will take us to Asia’s longest and highest route carrying 6 people in a single cabin over the lush green valley for a stunning experience. The distance covered by the Ropeway is about 4,260 meters long which descends down from a height of 7,000 ft. to 800 ft. approximately.
- Visiting time : (10am – 4pm)
- Entry Fee : Rs. 350/- (Per head)
- Way In : Ropeway is situated in Singamari, To go there we must hire a taxi(Reserved or Unreserved) from Chawk Bazar, Taxi stand or can hire from Car rental in Darjeeling which will carry us through Lebong cart Road to the targeted destination taking near about 15 mins. to reach.
- Way Out : While returning the opposite route will be followed from Singmari. Beside St. Joseph School, there is a Taxi stand from where we can hire an taxi or wait for other four wheeler cars returning from the Lebong Cart Road.
Paragliding in Darjeeling, An Awesome Encounter :
This is undoubtedly a thrilling panoramic experience to watch out Darjeeling from top while gliding. Paragliding give us the best adventure when we are looking for sport activities, there are two routes available in Darjeeling for glide, i.e., from Saint Pauls to Lebong and Tukvar Tea Garden to Jaumney. Depending on the weather condition 10 to 30 mins. flying tour is provided starting from the highest ridge gliding across the main town landing at a public premises in Darjeeling.
- Visiting Period : Open Daily ( except during winters ) from Sunrise to Sunset.
- Entry Fee : 3,000/- (Per head, discounts available)
- Way In : From Gandhi Road we can hire any unreserved or reserved Taxi or any other four wheeler vehicles to Saint Pauls and Tukvar Tea Garden.
2. Sight Seeing Trip
Tiger hill, Tourist’s Prime Attraction :
Sunrise in Tiger Hill is the most famous event which every tourist from around the world is delighted to watch, but every few are lucky to admire the beauty of sunlight that surrounds the Tiger Hill. Even, the famous Poet- Sir Rabindranath Tagore visited Tiger Hill for long 108 times but never had the luck to observe the sunlight that spread and rapid color change when the ray of sun strikes against the snow peaks due to bad weather forecast.
- Timing Of Visit: Morning – 6 a.m. (during August-September mostly).
- Way in: Tiger Hill is situated about 11kms away from Darjeeling town above Ghoom. We need to start from 3:30 a.m. in the morning through Private unreserved reserved Taxi or other four wheeler vehicle provided by Darjeeling Car Rental to reach Tiger Hill by 4:15 a.m.
- Way Out: Departing from Tiger hill the same reserved cars or unreserved taxi will take us back.
Experiences Gathered from Tourists Point of view :
1. “Good location and nice view of kanchenjunga!”
For people who are visiting Darjeeling with young children, this is one of the fantastic option. Breakfast provided in hotel is just enough to catch-up your day for next 4-5 hours. Staff is very polite and lovely but they are not trained people in hospitality sector. You need to ask them for everything and they do nicely.” – by: Mr. Manoj Singh (Dubai, United Arab Emirates).
Webpage : https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g304557-d735174-r423546210-Summit_Swiss_Heritage_Hotel_Spa-Darjeeling_West_Bengal.html#review_423546210
2. “Vini Vidi Visi”
Excellent place, delicious foods at restaurant and very very friendly people.
We loved both the place and people. It’s place of traditional touch with modern ornamental shade.
We will visit it again soon”. – by: Tanvir7e7 (Syllhet City, Bangladesh).
we came to Sikkim for a too-brief holiday in 2008. Since then, we have had some illness, retirement, and feel we really MUST come back to India. This time, we shall make our own programme, with a particular interest in seeing rhododendrons in flower..” – by: Sally Taylor
4. “We are pleased”
“This is to certify that group of 59 students with teachers of Christ college Dept of CS & IT, Jagdalpur, Distric Baster ( Chhattisgarh) visited to Darjeeling and Gangtok 4 Days trip for Bhotanical survay and Environmental Study of some part of Himalayan areas. The Group was fully guided by teaches and fully handles by KALPADEEP from New Jalpaiguri station onward. The Students and Teachers were very much satisfied with the service and behavior of the staff. Arrangement Transportation, Dinner was really very good, driver was very friendly and guiding attitude during the sightseeing tour. We are pleased and will surely recommend you..” – by : Ashim Ranjan Sarkar (HOD, Dept of Computer Science & IT Christ College, Jagdalpur).
Webpage : http://sikkimtrip.com/travellers-review
5. “Everything was well managed”
“I have booked Darjeeling stay with them. Got my hotel as I have requested to them, a full time driver as requested, very nice person. I have travelled with my mother & daughter, so everything was well managed by the agent….” – by : Tanushree (Kolkata, West Bengal)
6. “Dear Darjeeling”
The queen of hill of West Bengal is Darjeeling. Fantastic sunny weather, clear sky all together make the trip wonderful. Ecstatic sunrise over the Kanchenjunga from tiger hill fulfilled the trip. The mall, tea garden, zoo, ropeway, toy train, keventers, glenary’s all together made our Darjeeling trip a memorable one.” – by : Arpita Mondal (Durgapur)
7. “Heaven on earth”
Too good…Can’t pen down the experience in words. It’s a place that camera can’t capture. You need big eyes to capture that scenic view.” – by : Ms. Aishwarya Varsha
Webpage : https://www.ixigo.com/travel-guide/darjeeling
Suggestions to Improve Tourism Spots by Tourists :
1. “Nice Place – Dajeeling :
This was my first experience in a hill station with my family and we loved to visit Darjeeling. We were pleased with dreamy sites of Kanchenjunga and tea gardens that have made us amazed and happy. Although, Medical facilities were lacking as one of our family member got injured while trekking and no medical attention were given from anyone.” – by : Mr. Anurag Roy (Gwalior, M.P.)
2. “Average Place”
Place is good. But narrow roads. Too crowded with vehicles in morning and evening. You can see water pipe connection all through the city.. Not too clean city.. People are friendly and good. No traffic rules followed.” – by : Krishnaraj Kotian (Delhi)
Webpage : http://www.holidayiq.com/destinations/darjeeling
3. “Good Trip to Darjeeling”
Really Dajeeling is a wonderful place for it’s natural beauty to spend vacations at… No doubt about that, but just need to work on the infrastructures and the hospitality to make it ideal place for the Visitors. Thank You.” – by : Mr. Vinod Rao (Pune, Maharastra)
4. “Lovely Place, but need improvement
Very good place to visit for holidays.. still, need to improve the transportation in Darjeeling.Thank You.” – by : Ms. Soma Mitra ( Saltlake city, Kolkata )