Darjeeling Himalayan Railway nicknamed as the “Toy Train”! It is a 2ft narrow-gauge railway from Siliguri to Darjeeling connecting two of the districts, Jalpaiguri and Darjeeling in its Indian state of West Bengal which also run by the Indian Railway. Himalayan Railway transports passengers through the lower reaches of the Eastern Himalayas to its rolling hills and lush green tea plantations of Darjeeling with its hill settlements in India. Once Darjeeling was the summer retreat of the British and with that the railway was completed in 1881 and was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999.
Mesmerizing Joyride in Darjeeling
Want to enjoy the breathtaking beauty and the divine Himalayan heritage as you take a relaxed lazy ride on this cute mini trains that runs on a narrow gauge track. Its history experiencing one of the engineering marvels where many amazing loops and zigzags created to negotiate the steep gradients in the mountains. The popular Toy Train Joyride in Darjeeling takes place in a duration of two hours with a round trip of 16km. The train starts from Darjeeling station up to Ghum, makes a halt at the Ghum station so that you can also look at DHR Museum and then to its way back at Batasia Loop in the great views of Kanchenjunga as well as Darjeeling town on its hill slope and then returns to Darjeeling. Also for the longer rides, you can take the toy train between NJP and Darjeeling, or between Kurseong and Darjeeling.
Toy Train Tips for Booking and Fare
1. Along the side of the hill when the train moves forwards, reverses and then moves forward again climbing to the slope each time. The train starts from New Jalpaiguri Junction (NJP) which was extended to the south 1964 to meet the new broad gauge to Assam. Siliguri Town Station was an originally southern terminus of the line and Siliguri Junction became a major station only when a new metre-gauge line was built to Assam in the early 1950s. It runs parallel to DHR in the broad gauge line from New Jalpaiguri to Siliguri Junction.
2. Sukna Station marks the change in the landscapes from the flat plains to the wooded lower slopes of the mountains. It is the site which is lost in the forest. A short distance above the water tank Rongtong station. With that, there is a major station on the line as below the station in the workshops. There is also an office for the engineers and a large locomotive shed all on a separate site. Also with that Gayabari place moved on towards Mahanadi station, and Kurseong Station adjacent to the main line, but the station proper is a dead end. Sonada Station serves a town of the Sonada on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Jorebunglow Station is a small location near Darjeeling and a railway station on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. It is a store point for tea to Kolkata.
3. With that, the highest station in India is the Ghum station that summit of the line and now includes a museum on the first floor of the station building with larger exhibits in the old goods yard. Below Ghum is the Batasia Loop where there is also a memorial to the Gorkha soldiers of the Indian Army who sacrificed their lives after the Indian Independence in 1947. Comes to the end station is the Darjeeling station which is the farthest reach of the line was to Darjeeling Bazaar, a good-only line and now lost under the road surface and small buildings.
4. Siliguri to Darjeeling Toy Train fare for the Darjeeling to Ghoom joyride was increased with a steam engine train, the joyride costs 1,065 rupees for a first class ticket. Joyrides in a diesel engine train cost 695 rupees in the first class, with that the entry fee to Ghoom Museum is included in these fares.
5. Jungle Safari Holiday Trains which run from Siliguri to Tindharia return with the picturesque Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary and “Z” reverses. Tickets for the Jungle Safari costs 595 rupees and if you want to take the toy train all the way from Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling the cost is 365 rupees in first class.
6. Siliguri to Darjeeling Toy Train Booking can be made at Indian Railways computerized reservation counters or on the Indian Railway Website for travel on the toy train. Is always advisable to book in advance as the trains fill up quickly.
7. How to make a reservation on the Indian Railway Website is the station code for New Jalpaiguri is NJP, and Darjeeling, is DJ. For the joyrides from Darjeeling you will have to book with DJ as the “From” station and DJR as the “To” station. Also, the tickets for the Jungle Safari holiday trains are available at Siliguri Junction Station and the contact no is (91)353-2517246.
8. With the charting of the joyride, you should always follow before the ride to a DHR Toy Train with the steam engine hooting it’s a way through the lovely mountains and its landscapes as you enjoy the ride with your family and friends is completely exclusivity. Check out the charting for DHR:
- Darjeeling to Siliguri (one way or round Trip) this is subject to availability of the entire route.
- Siliguri-Tindharia (30Km) & return route and it is a village located at an altitude of 2,822 meters.
- Siliguri – Kurseong (50Km) & return route.
- Darjeeling – Kurseong (30Km) & return route. The route goes through Batasia Loop, Ghoom, Yung, and Sonada.
- Dining Charter: Siliguri-Rangtong (Evening Special).
- The above standard routes, the composition of the train are a century old steam locomotive and a ½ first class coach.
9. Daily Toy Train Services is the historic diesel and “B” Class steam locomotives with its various combinations of the first and the second class carriages which run all the way from the New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. With those Joy, Rides is also a diesel and “B” class steam locomotives that can take passengers on short trips from Darjeeling to Ghoom return. The rides include a 10 minute stop at Batasia loop and 30 minute stop at Ghoom Museum.